Pumpkin Cottage

Pumpkin Cottage
sit and visit a spell

Thursday, September 16, 2010

No time to Despair

The title of this post started out as "Time to Celebrate" but that doesn't really describe how I am feeling.   It is sad to admit but since my mother passed away, I have been lingering.  Simply vacillating between my life before and my life now.  My mother was my rock and the keeper of my deepest darkest secrets.  Whenever I feel like just dropping off into the deep sadness within me I remind myself of the dialogue between Anne Shirley and Marilla Cuthbert in Anne of Green Gables:

Anne Shirley: Can't you even IMAGINE you're in the depths of despair?
Marilla Cuthbert: No I cannot. To despair is to turn your back on God.

It is hard not to despair but I believe what Marilla says is true.  For years my mother would visit Southern California for long stretches of time.  We would always visit nurseries, work on the garden, and bake or sew a little something.  We even made dolls two years in a row.  We'd watch Sabado Gigante on Saturdays and Anne of Green Gables and we never tired of it. We also like to watch Primer Impacto for Walter Mercado's horoscope.  Walter is super fancy and his Spanish is beautiful sometimes my mother would have to clarify what I didn't understand.

Yesterday, I finally registered to resume my graduate studies and today I ordered the book.  Defining Moments,  isn't that the truth. Now I know God speaks to us...sometimes He shouts at me because I am slow to listen. It's not that I don't get it.  It is that I resist but less and less as I get older.  I am convinced that this class will reignite my love of learning.

 Here is to counting my blessings.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YOLANDA  You make the world a better place by justing being in it.  Amiga, you have been a true and courageous friend to my dearest Joe and for that I am eternity thankful.  May you be blessed with many more birthdays full of joy and health in the company of all who cherish you.

Joe corrected me, it isn't Yolanda's birthday after all but the sentiments stand even though the message is couple of months late.  I am blushing. 

Here's Joe, mother and me at Chrisy's condo years ago.  Chrisy has moved twice since this photo.  We were so lucky to spend so much time together.











The holidays are coming:  Alicia Paulson has posted the 2010 Edition of her ornament kits.  I ordered my kit what are you waiting for?  You owe to yourself to go check it out.  My mother always had a little work on her lap. It's a sweet tradition that I would love to have my children remember about me.

See that look on my mother's face that is pride and joy.  It's the look of contentment.  The look mothers have when their children are behaving well.  Those are my craft bags in between.

Dulce and Mother Summer 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time for commenting.