Pumpkin Cottage

Pumpkin Cottage
sit and visit a spell

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Elvis and Silver Lake, Los Angeles

Lee and I have celebrated the 13th day of each month of our journey since our first date nearly 13 years ago. We celebrate the everyday life every day. We have often been asked how we got here in our emotional growth. I can only tell you that it is through suffering that you can find joy. For me it was through my father's, sister's and mother's suffering.

Lately, I have been physically and emotionally drained. Totally and completely exhausted. Realizing that it is part of the grieving process we keep moving forward as individuals and as a family.
We fill every opportunity with amazing experiences. Yesterday was no exception. Driving home from Los Angeles we kept saying that was so much FUN.
Please sit a spell and visit with us. We visited the Elvis show at the Grammy Museum and two shops I have wanted to visit for a very long time in the Silver Lake neighborhood.

Here we celebrated in the elevator. The last time we visited the Grammy was on a Sunday and there were fewer visitors. That was better because it felt more intimate.
The view from the window on the second floor of the museum. We LOVE the big city.
We enjoy food. Especially greasy spoons. Lee swears the tacos were amazing. I played it safe, my tummy has been a little upset lately. Not for the vegan, vegetarian or faint of heart.
The atmosphere is important, too. It must feel safe and the kitchen, at least, must look clean. Bathrooms are usually a good indicator of the cleaniness of the kitchen. It's what my mother would say and it is generally true.

Parking in Silver Lake is not easy or fun. A little walk does the heart good, first stop on our walk.


I have been wanting to visit Reform School for a very long time. For years I have created journals, through my Simple Abundance journey, with all the things I cut out of magazines or collect in my travels....this shop was in a very early journal and featured artist Lorena Barrezueta. Read the article I saved from Cottage Living here. We all enjoyed our visit. The shopkeeper was warm and allowed us to explore.

More recently, I discovered Home Ec. This shop is as sweet as it looks. Warm and homey. The kids are on the sofa eating cookies.


Come on don't you just want to visit and stay a while? The shop has everything a crafting family craves and Japanese fabrics, too. Sigh.

This wall is at the back of the shop drew me in immediately. I wanted to just sit in the little club house with its faux wood finish and vintage wallpaper. (Note for the spelling challenged like me. I asked Lee how do you spell faux? His first response F-O-E seriously what was I thinking?) The shopkeeper told us it took a week to paper the wall. The colors are perfect. I want a wall with the same quilt type look and I want to use vintage wallpaper. The hunt is on.
What is great about having our little cottage and not a big executive home is that we have no fear in exploring and expressing our artistic instincts at home with the kids. Nothing is off limits.
We purchased a kit to make a sock skeleton (remember sock monkeys), a yard of fabric, a video Yummyfun Kooking, and other treats. We can not wait to go back and visit.
It is Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood after all.

Had to take this photo and post because Chrisy's maiden name is "Dale."

Found on our walk back to the van. Someone better post a comment or I am gong to start keeping all this juicy goodness to myself. I'd like to know somebody, yes that is you, is reading. Thank you for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time for commenting.