Pumpkin Cottage

Pumpkin Cottage
sit and visit a spell

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Grieving

Yes, it is true that I am grieving about the lost of my mother but I am also grieving because I am growing and it is painful. Change is painful even when it is good.


A few days following the loss of my mother I went to get a manicure for some quiet time. I know you all don't believe it but I am very shy and will not normally start conversations. Any way, I shared with my manicurist that my mother had recently passed away, a customer within ear shot shared that she, too, had recently lost her 68 year old mother. They had been told that she had six months but her mother passed in only six weeks. She had brought her grieving father to the nail salon for some comfort.

Hearing our conversation, he came over and gave me his condolences. He was so sweet and obviously suffering. He shared a program call grief share that helped him. The program is normally conducted through faith-based organizations. I signed up for the daily email option. So far, I have found each message insightful and comforting. At the nail salon, I was also approached by a young woman, she asked my name and if I would welcome her prayer for our family. Of course. How sweet is that? (That is my mother at work. She was always so charming and friendly not shy at all.)

God speaks to us every day. I've know this for some time but I don't always listen because His expectations are high and I am tired. Inspiration struck before we went up north, two books were brought to me, I say brought because I don't know what else to call the phenomenon of suddenly finding just the right book that brings comfort at just the right time here are two: Rachel Naomi Remen, M.D.'s Kitchen Table Wisdom and Not Quite What I was Planning Six-Word Memoirs.

I know that we were blessed in my mother's journey and we continue to be blessed in our grieving journey with loving friends and family. God is good.

A little retail therapy and craftiness helps, too. Here is a shop we visited in Roseville, California. The shop was amazing with a wonderfully friendly shopkeeper, Sandy, and a beautiful creek/river that runs right behind the shop. The shopkeepers also sell in southern California at the Barn in Temecula. Both worth the trip.

xxxooo

1 comment:

  1. Hi Eugenia~ Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and your family everyday. I know you are going through a difficult time right now but try to take comfort in the sweet memories you have of your mother. You have a wonderful husband, great kids and countless friends that are here for you.
    Sincerely~Cherie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time for commenting.