Pumpkin Cottage

Pumpkin Cottage
sit and visit a spell

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Broth is Good for Queasy Tummies

Holly, sweet baby, has been having flu symptoms.  My first thought was brat (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast) but she won't have any part of it.  She informed me that she may never eat again.

My next thought was the broth my mother and sisters used to make when the household was under the  weather.

Green Broth
  • Use cold water when starting to make your broth
  • To the cold water add: green onions, peeled garlic cloves, flat leaf parsley, a splash of olive oil, a bit of katsup or tomato and salt to taste
  • Bring to rolling boil then simmer for water to have a green infusion
  • Add  egg  to poach (optional)
  • Remove greens and serve
That's it.  You will have to play with the quantity of ingredients.   Varying amounts will depend on how many sickies you are feeding  and how strong you want your flavors.

Thinking about the green broth got me thinking about my mother's ever present garden. She always had green onions, parsley and mint in pots.  My little garden already has mint and parsley starting, but I need green onions.  Seeds for the green onions can go in the ground as early as February in southern California.

That is how inspiration strikes some times. 

Heritage House, Riverside, CA

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time for commenting.