Pumpkin Cottage

Pumpkin Cottage
sit and visit a spell

Monday, October 10, 2011

Granny's House

"As a designer," says Robert Novogratz, "you've failed if your house looks like your grandmother's."

Now I don't know about as a designer but I love the granny look.I loved my grandmothers' houses.  I wish my house looked like my paternal grandmother's, Ursula, house with its ocean view, handmade quilts, crocheted dollies, Victorian lamps, and built in cupboards.  My maternal grandmother's home wasn't shabby either. Olinda, had a huge home just large enough for 13 children and their broods.  The kitchen had room for a last supper style table and scrubbed wooden floors. I'll post a photo another day.























 
That's my mother on the far left, my grandmother, Olinda, in the nightgown, my sister Dulce to her left.
The oldest sister, Mericia, standing directly behind my grandmother. Mericia is holding her daughter, Christine.  This is  during the summer of 1976. Four generations.
I share my family photo history hopefully inspire others to take photos.
My mother is probably 47 in this photo so close to my age with grown daughters and a granddaughter.  
Unfortunately, I don't recognize the other guests.  I was probably behind the camera.
A table full of celebration, a green cupboard, lace curtains, wood panel ceiling and stone walls.
This was my grandmother's cabin near the center of town seen below. 






















Yes, the granny look is for me.  Always has been always will be.  It may have all started with a little metal play house like the one pictured below.  My kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Henage, gave me a similar house at the end of the school year.  All those hours of playing and planning definitely influenced my future.  Yes, indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time for commenting.