Pumpkin Cottage

Pumpkin Cottage
sit and visit a spell

Friday, January 21, 2011

Road 2 California Show

The pain I am experiencing in my right leg is totally worth the experience of visiting the show today. I listened to a doctor or therapist, it doesn't matter,  from the medical center in Houston where Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords will be rehabilitated.  The health care provider person was talking about the "new normal" when you sustain trauma and then get as good as you are going to get. 

It was an epiphany for me.  The new normal.  I don't give a lot of thought to the progression of my disease because it is what it is and I am more peaceful not concentrating on what I don't have control over.  I love the new normal because it is what I experience every day and it comforting to know that I am not alone.  Think positive thoughts.  It was an emotional moment. 

Meanwhile, back to the show. While at the show I had to use the restroom and when my turn came up I landed in the handicap stall.  I guess from the look of my shiny red clogs a lady standing outside decided to say very loudly that the handicap stall is intended for the handicap.  Truly I was going as fast as I could.

It really upsets me when total strangers are rude.  I smiled and said hello as I exited...her embarrassed face was totally worth it.  My friend ,Becky, assured me that handicap stalls are intended for the disabled but even if you are not disabled the stalls are available to everyone unless a disabled person is waiting.  I am disabled. but even if I weren't, these stalls are more comfortable  for everyone,  regular toilets are way too low for most people, handicap stalls sometimes have the only changing table in the restroom, and for parents traveling with small children or the elderly they are the only choice. Keep in mind, not all disabilities can be seen with your eyes although mine are obvious. And always remember that being aq disabled doesn't give you a free pass to be mean.  Being nice matters.

I am so sorry I didn't bring a camera but I am sharing these questionable quality photos from my phone.  You still have a whole weekend to get there.

First stop.  Susan Branch's booth. 

 Exhibits.  This one includes the Starship.























Ode to Holly.  She is dreaming of a new two piece swim suit.

















Wool. 



















There is absolutely something for everyone at this show.  I didn't get to see
all that I wanted but I am so happy I went. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time for commenting.