Pumpkin Cottage

Pumpkin Cottage
sit and visit a spell

Saturday, July 31, 2010

One Thing Leads to Another

Shopping for greetings cards in one of my favorite pastimes.  Some times I am on a mission to find a specific card for a specific person, but more often then not, I will purchase a greeting card because it speaks to my heart, makes me laughter or cry.  

The card that spoke to me today sucked me in right away. At the top of the card is this quote:  Life in nothing without friendship.  Cicero.

Then, a black and white photo of two elderly ladies sitting in their  favorite living room chairs (something like All in the Family, looking directly into the camera.  Both ladies are dressed for bed but it could be morning.  One is wearing a fancy black lace robe and looks like she may be wearing lipstick while the other  is more simply dressed in a traditional fleece robe and black horn rimmed glasses.  The fancy lady has her hand on the other lady's hand.  Such a warm gesture.  It is very intimate image.  Their image is so powerful especially.   Immediately all the emotion of my mother floods me. 

I wasn't going to buy the card but they just stared out at me.  The whole scene touched my heart. I had to hold the card and study the entire image.  Study their faces noticing that the fancy lady is wearing a wedding ring while the other wears no jewelry, noticing their stockings and their slippered feet.   Needless to say, I had to buy the card.  This is a card that I will post on the wall of my office.

On the back of the card the photographer, Andrew Danson, indicates that the photo is of his great aunts that have lived together since their 40s when they both were widowed.

The photograph is from the M.I.L.K Intimacy, Laughter, and Kinship collection.   Also check out the publisher's website.  I was able to find some used copies of collections books on Amazon. 















The Wisdom book looks amazing. I hope you enjoyed this journey as much as I have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time for commenting.