Pumpkin Cottage

Pumpkin Cottage
sit and visit a spell

Monday, November 23, 2009

Mae (Portuguese for mother)

God gave us memories so we could have roses in winter and mothers forever.

I don't know where I found that quote or who wrote it but it is so true. My family is sleeping we are all so tired, so sad, and lost. I've put a kettle on because that is what my mae would do at a time like this.

Our life had taken on a rhythm that surrounded the needs of our VoVo. For nearly five years, every day was planned around her needs. Saturday dentist appointments for months only to have her throw away her bottom dentures the very first week. Doctor's appointments, adult daycare, and throw in some fun every weekend, too. We vacationed together and stayed in motels that could accommodate the elderly and little kids. Now what do we do?

Abraham Lincoln said, "All I am, or can be, I owe to my angel mother."

Our mae was strong and she made us strong. She was strict but we knew she loved us. She set a fine example of a strong independent woman. In her suffering, I would whisper to her, "I am just like you; we are strong women." I wanted her to know that I would not leave her that I would do the right thing. It was my way of comforting her so she won't worry. We will all keep my promise.

Mae was a domestic goddess. Her white laundry was pearly white, the tile in our bathroom gleamed, her oven and refrigerator sparkled, and everything she did she did with love. Every thing was in order. She rarely sat down, but when she did, it was to knit, crotchet, embroider, or quilt she could not remain idle. She would always tell me she liked to stay busy.

Her garden was immaculate and included roses, sweet peas, her favorite geraniums, onions, kale, the ever present flat leaf parsley, fennel, mint, fresh lettuce... you name it she could grow it. Not only was her garden beautiful it smelled delightful with sweet ans savory scents.

I am sorry that my memories are rambling but I think that is how it will be for a while.

My niece, Staci, sent the photos from her last visit with VoVo. She loved her family the most.

A house needs a grandma in it. Louisa May Alcott

We were blessed to share our lives and our home. God gives us more than we could ever wish for ourselves. He knew that we would welcome her and that she would bless us more than we could ever bless her.






1 comment:

  1. Eugenia,
    I was so sorry to hear about your mom. From the few times I spent time with her and reading about some of your times together, she seems like an amazing women. Know that I'm thinking of you and your family and wishing you strength during this difficult time.

    Sincerely,
    Michelle Adams

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time for commenting.